Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Indiginous Australians Celebrate 40 Years as Human Beings

While I generally like nothing more than to make fun of Australia and its bigotry, I may be willing to admit this article is slightly less than 100% accurate. It claims that with the amendments to the Australian constitution in 1967 came the first time Aboriginal Australian's were considered anything other than part of the native flora and fauna. While I'm not even sure they are considered anything other than that by a majority of the Australian population today, Aborigines actually became citizens of the commonwealth in 1948. So, really, it only took them 49,948 years in Australia before they gained that prestigious title. Not 49,967 years. Jesus. Get your facts straight.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least Australia is the USA's ally. Give them some respect.

Kevin Taylor said...

There's a great movie about this subject. It's called "Rabbit-Proof Fence." Have you seen it, Alice?

Anonymous said...

"Jindabyne," loosely based on a Raymond Carver story, deals with this, too.

alice said...

I admit I am really harsh when it comes to Australia. I like Australians. "Some of my best friends are Australian." So my bashing of them is slightly tongue in cheek. However, I'm definitely not going to respect John Howard's love affair with GWB, nor will I respect his eyebrows.

Anonymous said...

Australia also has the coolest Kangaroos in the world.